March 2020 – Feb 2025
Type of Evaluation
The Healthier Kids For Our Future® program, funded by the Cigna Foundation, is a five-year, $25M investment to improve the health and well-being of children across the globe. The initiative has three strategies, which are aligned with three of the 17 leading global challenges identified by the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals: No Poverty, Zero Hunger, and Good Health and Well-Being.
The Evaluation Center is partnering with the Cigna Foundation to develop and implement initiative- and strategy-level evaluation plans for the initiative. The Center is also providing technical assistance to the initiative, its partners, and grantees; and collecting and analyzing evaluative data.
Established more than 50 years ago, the Cigna Foundation carries out the company’s corporate philanthropy goals of bringing Cigna’s mission to life for individuals and communities around the globe. The Cigna Foundation accomplishes these goals through strategically focused charitable grants to nonprofit organizations whose work enhances the health of individuals and families and the well-being of communities. In 2019, after combining with Express Scripts, the Foundation launched a philanthropic initiative called Healthier Kids For Our Future (HKFOF).
The HKFOF initiative aims to connect dedicated local organizations with resources and volunteers to amplify their impact. In 2019, the initiative provided funding to its first cohort of grantees with a focus on addressing food security needs of children and youth. In 2020, the second strategy was implemented to address the mental health and emotional well-being of children, with emphasis on loneliness, anxiety, depression, and suicide.
Evaluation Center Activities
- Identify stakeholders.
- Develop evaluation plans (including logic models, evaluation methods matrices, and dissemination plans).
- Conduct literature reviews.
- Provide consultation on strategy design and implementation.
- Design data collection and analysis systems and protocols for evaluation.
- Identify common metrics to be collected by grantees for each strategy.
- Summarize evaluation findings and provide recommendations.
- Assess grantees’ evaluation-related capacity (including data collection, analysis, and translation).
- Conduct web-based trainings and provide tailored technical assistance to grantees.
- Evaluation plans (including logic models, evaluation methods matrices, and dissemination plans)
- Data collection and analysis protocols
- Literature review reports
- Dissemination plans
- Grantee engagement plans
- Evaluation findings (reports, presentations, data dashboards)
- Case studies